Thursday, January 20, 2011

belly rise, belly fall

I went to my Thursday night yoga class this evening.  I look forward to this class every week and miss it in many ways when I don't get there.  This is my hour to turn off all the thoughts that are usually racing through my mind.  This is my hour to think about nothing but inhaling and exhaling.  This is my hour to bend, twist and turn as much as possible to cleanse my body of toxins as the beads of sweat trickle down my face all the way to my toes.  This is my hour.

I remember the first time I went to a hot yoga class.  I was searching for something new to try, something that I could do for exercise and something that I could do to just feel better.  I felt a void in my life and yoga was the answer.  I needed something that was for me by myself and that would help me in my goal to live a healthy lifestyle.  I had gone to a different studio, one that was not quite what I was looking for so I left and made my way to the Moksha Yoga studio I had found online.  When I walked in I was a little nervous, the lobby was buzzing with people leaving from the previous session.  I spoke with the friendly people at the desk and had a tour of the studio.  I really wasn't sure what to expect but I signed the paper work, rented a mat and towel and off I went to lay in shavasana until the class started. 

The room was hot, humid, dark and still.  Although there were many people in the room it was silent.  I unrolled my mat, straighted the towel and laid down facing the ceiling.  I finished the class not really sure how I felt about it, it was a hard work out and I knew I wasn't doing the postures quite right but I went back a few more times.  That was back in February 2009 and while it was touch and go to start I am beginning to find out what yoga is really all about.  If you go or have gone then you know what I am talking about.  If you haven't tried it, give it a shot and go for a few sessions, you might be pleasantly surprised.

No comments:

Post a Comment