Sunday, January 23, 2011

Motivation comes in many ways

I don't remember exactly when I met Marc, I just know it was years ago. I had been hired by his girlfriend in what I called my first real job. I was working for a growing software development company in Toronto and couldn't have been more excited.

Fast forward four years and Marc hired me to work in the health care software industry. I was very lucky to have the opportunity to work with Marc and learn from him. I will never forget my first day at that company. Marc picked me up during a terrible storm, we were flying to Ottawa to have a kickoff meeting for one of the projects I was going to manage. That was the one and only time I had seen an executive hold a meeting in socked feet. He was very professional and the presentation went really well until Marc opened the meeting for questions, someone asked if that was his first meeting without shoes on the room of 30 people all started giggling.

I found out last night that Marc passed away Friday after battling cancer. Participating in the WWF CN Tower Stair Climb event something Marc did for a few years and he even did it last year. I decided today that I would do the climb in Marc's memory since he is not here to do it. The climb is 1700 (give or take) stairs so tomorrow I am getting a stair climber to start training for the event.

No comments:

Post a Comment